Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I Never Knew...

I didn't write the following post. Couldn't write it. It was written by a friend of mine that I have known for almost 18 years. Someone I worked with for many years. I knew she had some things happen in her life long before I met her, but I had no idea.She responded to a cause request on Facebook today. The cause is Community Missions, and we provide housing and support to chronically homeless men. Here is what she wrote when accepting the request to join the cause...


Years ago, in another lifetime, I made a horrible life choice. It not only affected my life, but my daughter's. At 8:00 am Dawn was a happy 10 year old decorating her room. At 5:00 pm the same day, she and I were "displaced" -- we weren't allowed back in our home under threat of violence. We weren't allowed a vehicle for transportation. We had only the clothes on our backs. It was January. We went walking uptown. I can still feel the tears frozen to our cheeks and Dawn's small hand clenching mine so tightly she cut off my circulation. We were so scared! Thank God our church family and friends came to our aid. I never missed a day of work. Dawn never missed a day of school. I filed for a restraining order to keep Dawn safe. We wore friends' hand-me-downs to have clothing changes. Later, someone left word for me of an apartment to rent. They said our first month's rent had been paid by an anonymous donor. Our church didn't have a food pantry, but partnered with one in St. Joseph. They brought us food, clothing, appliances, furniture, but most of all the gave us hope that the light at the end of the tunnel wasn't a train. Could we have turned it all around without their help? I can't imagine how. So I go a little "ballistic" when I hear people say homeless folks choose that way of life. No, they are choosing to go on the best they can. God sent folks in my life to "bring me home". It is time for me to help others "come home". Won't you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment